A 71-year-old man was killed early Thursday morning after he was struck by a semi-trailer truck as he was crossing Highway 61 through Muscatine on foot.
According to an Iowa State Patrol accident report, at 2:50 a.m. Thursday a semi driven by Rodney T. White, 44, of Ft. Wayne, Ind., was traveling on Highway 61 at Oakview Drive when Patrick A. Hazelwood, 71, of Muscatine stepped into the roadway, pushing a shopping cart. Hazelwood was struck by the semi’s power unit, according to the report, sending him into the ditch. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
This accident remains under investigation.
MORE Public Safety ARTICLES TO READ NEXT ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Iowa Total Care selected as third Medicaid insurer in Iowa
- Finkenauer scores another labor endorsement
- Prairie, Jefferson cruise to Metro baseball tournament semifinals
- Maddie Poppe, Hawkeye. No, not those Hawkeyes.
- 2018 prep softball preview: Area players to watch
- 2018 prep softball preview: Area teams to watch