CEDAR RAPIDS — The first Cedar Rapids Fire Department call of the year was fireworks related.
Cedar Rapids public safety spokesman Greg Buelow said crews were called to 3421 Shasta Drive NE at 12:10 a.m. Jan. 1 for a report of a firework that had discharged into the soffit of a home. Buelow said the homeowner was lighting off a 3-foot Roman candle outside of his basement walk out when two of the shells penetrated the soffit under the first floor overhang.
The shells penetrated 1/8 inch plywood, and the two separate two-inch holes were glowing and smoking when the owner called the fire department, Buelow said. The homeowner used a fire extinguisher before firefighters arrived, Buelow said.
Firefighters pulled down some of the soffit and insulation, but found no heat, Buelow said.
The homeowner is being issued a citation for illegal use of fireworks, according to Buelow.
l Comments: (319) 398-8238; firstname.lastname@example.org