Fire in Cedar Rapids nursing home's laundry room quickly extinguished

Officials say sprinkler system put out flames

Engine 1, Truck 1 and Rescue 1 are parked in the bay at the Cedar Rapids Central Fire Station. (Liz Martin/The Gazette)
Engine 1, Truck 1 and Rescue 1 are parked in the bay at the Cedar Rapids Central Fire Station. (Liz Martin/The Gazette)

CEDAR RAPIDS — A fire in the laundry room of a Cedar Rapids nursing home was quickly extinguished Saturday night.

The fire was reported at 10:37 p.m. at Living Center East, 1220 Fifth Ave. SE. When fire crews arrived, they found the building’s sprinkler system already had extinguished a fire in a basket in the laundry room. Firefighters determined the fire had not spread beyond the laundry basket and turned off the sprinkler system.

No one was hurt and no residents were displaced, fire officials said.

CONTINUE READING

MORE Linn County Metro ARTICLES TO READ NEXT ...

CEDAR RAPIDS - A man arrested last week on warrants related to a two-month crime spree faces more charges.According to Linn County Attorney's Office criminal complaints, 26-year-old Austin D. Jackson, no permanent address, faces t ...

MARION - Two people were injured in a two-vehicle crash Tuesday evening. According to a Linn County Sheriff's Office news release, the sheriff's office, Marion police and fire and Area Ambulance responded to a report of a two-vehi ...

Give us feedback

Have you found an error or omission in our reporting? Tell us here.

Do you have a story idea we should look into? Tell us here.