Linn County Metro

Cooking fire cause of apartment blaze in Cedar Rapids

A total of three apartments were affected by the fire

(file photo) Engine 1 and Truck 1 sit in the bay at the new Cedar Rapids Central Fire Station on Wednesday, Sept. 11, 2013, in Cedar Rapids. (Liz Martin/The Gazette-KCRG)
(file photo) Engine 1 and Truck 1 sit in the bay at the new Cedar Rapids Central Fire Station on Wednesday, Sept. 11, 2013, in Cedar Rapids. (Liz Martin/The Gazette-KCRG)

CEDAR RAPIDS — A blaze in a southwest Cedar Rapids apartment building Monday morning started with a cooking fire.

The Cedar Rapids Fire Department responded to 222 Jacolyn Dr. SW at 9:16 a.m. Monday after a man in one of the building’s units called 911 and reported he was trapped inside. Public safety spokesman Greg Buelow said Tuesday that fire started in the kitchen of the unit.

Buelow said the occupant of the unit was cooking with hot oil when a fire broke out and spread to the cabinets. He then retreated to the bathroom area of the apartment and called 911, Buelow said.

Fire investigators said the fire spread from the kitchen to the outside of the apartment and caught the siding of the building on fire.

Firefighters found fire in a common entryway and porch area of the building. A total of three units were affected, including the unit the man was trapped in. Firefighters were able to knock down flames in the deck area of the man’s apartment and get him out of the building.

The man was able to walk out of the building, but has injuries that including possible smoke inhalation, Buelow said.

CONTINUE READING

Give us feedback

We value your trust and work hard to provide fair, accurate coverage. If you have found an error or omission in our reporting, tell us here.

Or if you have a story idea we should look into? Tell us here.