Cedar Rapids Fire Department responds to early morning fire

  • Photo

CEDAR RAPIDS — A man credits his two dogs for waking him up when smoke alarms failed to alert him to an early morning fire.

The Cedar Rapids Fire Department was called to 1056 10th Ave. SE just before 4 a.m. Monday for a report of a bathroom fire. When crews arrived on the scene, the owner of the single story home, 47-year-old Sherri Schooley, said everyone was out of the house.

Firefighters entered the home and quickly put out a fire inside. Crews cut a ventilation hole in the home to allow smoke, heat and gases to escape.

The occupant of the home, 26-year-old Devin Schooley, told firefighters he had smoke detectors in the home, but they did not go off. Schooley said he was waked up by his two dogs.

Cedar Rapids public safety spokesmang Greg Buelow said the fire was started by a candle left burning in the bathroom.

Give us feedback

Have you found an error or omission in our reporting? Tell us here.
Do you have a story idea we should look into? Tell us here.