Cause of death released for man found dead outside of Iowa City Recreation Center

An Iowa City squad car. (file photo)
An Iowa City squad car. (file photo)

IOWA CITY — An Iowa City man was intoxicated before he accidentally froze to death outside of the Iowa City Recreation Center, authorities said Wednesday.

Iowa City police said an autopsy showed Paul J. Biagas, 24, died of hypothermia due to environmental cold exposure. His death was ruled an accident. Authorities added that Biagas was “found to be acutely intoxicated” when he died.

Biagas was found inside a fenced-in garden area at the Robert A. Lee Recreation Center, 220 S. Gilbert St., on the afternoon of Jan. 2. Iowa City police said at the time they believed Biagas was likely heading home on New Year’s Eve or New Year’s Day when he died. He lived about a block from the recreation center.

Police said at the onset of the investigation that foul play was not suspected in Biagas’ death.

l Comments: (319) 398-8238; lee.hermiston@thegazette.com

CONTINUE READING

MORE Public Safety ARTICLES TO READ NEXT ...

Cedar Rapids - Leslie Hess said she will never forget what it was like to run for her life on October 1, 2017, in Las Vegas. She also said her heart now 'shatters' for those at Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, wh ...

Smoke generated by a morning fire that continues to smolder near NewBo is being pushed toward the city by winds out of the South. People are advised to 'limit exposure.'The Cedar Rapids Fire Department is on the scene of a buildin ...

Give us feedback

Have you found an error or omission in our reporting? Tell us here.

Do you have a story idea we should look into? Tell us here.