IOWA CITY — An Iowa City man was intoxicated before he accidentally froze to death outside of the Iowa City Recreation Center, authorities said Wednesday.
Iowa City police said an autopsy showed Paul J. Biagas, 24, died of hypothermia due to environmental cold exposure. His death was ruled an accident. Authorities added that Biagas was “found to be acutely intoxicated” when he died.
Biagas was found inside a fenced-in garden area at the Robert A. Lee Recreation Center, 220 S. Gilbert St., on the afternoon of Jan. 2. Iowa City police said at the time they believed Biagas was likely heading home on New Year’s Eve or New Year’s Day when he died. He lived about a block from the recreation center.
Police said at the onset of the investigation that foul play was not suspected in Biagas’ death.
l Comments: (319) 398-8238; firstname.lastname@example.org