Inside Michael & Dowd Furniture and Appliances, 102 E. Fourth St., where the blaze was first reported Thursday, flames continued to shoot up at the front of the store Friday morning.
The volunteer Vinton Fire Department began to fight the fire about 7:13 p.m. Thursday and tried all night to contain it.
The Vinton Fire Department has been assisted by the Vinton and Garrison police departments, the Garrison, Shellsburg, Urbana, Mount Auburn and Van Horne fire departments, North Benton Ambulance and the Benton County Sheriff’s Office.
MORE News ARTICLES TO READ NEXT ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Iowa City police arrest ‘bored,’ pantless man on acid trying to get into neighbor’s house for sex
- Iowa football 2018 depth chart projection: Defense
- Big draws coming Saturday to downtown Cedar Rapids
- Iowa boys’ state golf results: East Buchanan’s Jacob Hesner wins 1A title
- Nearly 4,000 Iowa faces anchor World War I exhibit
- Gas prices climb ahead of big travel weekend