Tropical Storm Jose, heading for the Caribbean, strengthened to a hurricane on Wednesday and could become a major Category 3 storm by Friday, the U.S. National Hurricane Center said.
Jose was about 1,040 miles (1,675 km) east of the Lesser Antilles, packing maximum sustained winds of 75 miles per hour (120 kph), the NHC said in an advisory.
(Reporting by Nallur Sethuraman in Bengaluru; Editing by Peter Cooney)
MORE Nation & World ARTICLES TO READ NEXT ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Iowa seeks public input on highway rest areas, proposes closing 11 rest stops
- Johnson County Solarize program reaches milestone
- Study: Seafood consumption tied to more sex and faster conception
- North Linn's Parker Bechen enjoys return to the diamond after scary head injury
- Parkland shooting survivors promote voting, dialogue at Linn-Mar event
- 20 years, no NBA draft first-rounders for Iowa basketball