Hurricane Jose was pulling away from the northern Leeward Islands and was expected to weaken in intensity on Sunday and Monday, the National Hurricane Center said.
Jose about 85 miles (135 km) north of the northern Leeward Islands with maximum sustained winds of 145 miles per hour (230 kilometers per hour).
The storm was not expected to change in intensity overnight before starting to weaken on Sunday, the NHC said.
MORE Nation & World ARTICLES TO READ NEXT ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Two pedestrians injured in crash outside Marion restaurant
- Benton Community puts on a Saturday state track surge
- Autum Barthelman has career day for Sigourney at state track
- Payton Wensel ends her career with 8 state track titles
- South Winneshiek’s Rodney Schwartzhoff sweeps 1A state track sprints
- Triathlon coaching now focus of former University of Iowa rowing coach