Death toll in southern Libyan attack rises to 141 -official

BENGHAZI, Libya (Reuters) - A spokesman for east Libyan armed forces said on Friday that as many as 141 people had been killed a day earlier in an attack on a southern air base.
Ahmed al-Mismari, a spokesman for the eastern-based Libyan National Army (LNA), said 103 of those killed in the attack at Brak Al-Shati air base were LNA troops stationed in the area.
Earlier, the mayor of Brak Al-Shati and a medical source in the town put the death toll at 89, though the medical official said some bodies had not been brought to the hospital.
It was not possible to independently verify the number of casualties. Local and LNA officials have said that some of those killed were civilians who appeared to have been summarily executed.

(Reporting by Ayman al-Warfalli; Writing by Aidan Lewis; Editing by Sandra Maler)

CONTINUE READING

MORE Nation & World ARTICLES TO READ NEXT ...

WASHINGTON - Congress voted late Monday to reopen the government after a three-day shutdown, sending President Donald Trump a short-term spending bill that passed after Senate Republican leaders pledged to act on immigration polic ...

Gifty Dominah cannot remember a time growing up that she did not think about becoming a doctor.'When I was five years old, and my dad would ask me what I wanted to be, I would say, 'A doctor,'' she said. 'It was one of the only ca ...

Give us feedback

Have you found an error or omission in our reporting? Tell us here.

Do you have a story idea we should look into? Tell us here.