Survey finds Iowa voters 2nd most powerful in president race


CEDAR RAPIDS — Flex your muscles, Iowa.

And when you get done with that, go vote.

WalletHub, a three-year-old personal finance website that produces reports and surveys on topics ranging from credit scores to the fattest states, ranks Iowa voters as the second most powerful in the nation.

Arizona tops Iowa voters who outscore Alaska, South Dakota and Ohio for having the most powerful voters in the presidential election.

WalletHub determined that by grading states on a 100-point scale, giving more points to purple states — those that could go either Democratic or Republican in the presidential election. The win probability scores were multiplied by the number of electors in each state — six in Iowa — and divided by the state’s population aged 18 and older.

According to fivethirtyeight.com Monday, Hillary Clinton has a 64.5 percent chance of winning Iowa and Donald Trump has a 35.5 percent chance of carrying the state. Their win probabilities were much closer earlier this month.

Using that formula, Arizona came out on top with a score of 207.05 with Iowa scoring 189.88. California scored just 0.37, making it the state with the least powerful voters.

To see the full report, visit. www.WalletHub.com/edu.



CORALVILLE - Iowa City native, advocate and author Zach Wahls announced Thursday he will run for the Iowa Senate seat held by Bob Dvorsky, who does not plan to seek re-election in 2018. "I'm running for the Iowa Senate for one si ...

CEDAR RAPIDS - Business lawyer Brad Hart will be Cedar Rapids' next mayor after beating former City Council member Monica Vernon in a runoff Tuesday.Hart took more than 54 percent of the vote.Hart said he was excited to get starte ...

Give us feedback

Have you found an error or omission in our reporting? Tell us here.

Do you have a story idea we should look into? Tell us here.