CEDAR RAPIDS — Entering its fifth year, the city’s Paving for Progress program has more road projects planned for the construction season.
Plans call for spending about $17.5 million on more than 30 projects.
In the program’s first four years, nearly 34 linear miles of roadway have been improved at a cost of $67.3 million.
“Improving our infrastructure is more than just roads — it’s about improving quality of life, supporting our economic development and continuing to attract families and businesses who want to make Cedar Rapids their home,” Paving for Progress program manager Doug Wilson said in an email. “It’s incredibly important that we maintain this momentum.”
Fueled by a 1 percent local-option sales tax that generates about $18 million a year for streetwork, Paving for Progress went into effect in 2014 and will continue until June 2024.
Of the 106 projects completed so far, 70 percent have been on local or residential streets, while the remaining 30 percent of projects have been on main arterial routes.
Roads are prioritized using a master plan, which focuses on fixing or maintaining roads before they reach the end of their service life. That approach extends road life spans and avoids more costly repairs in the future.
An emphasis also is placed on fixing a mix of residential and arterial streets.
“Paving for Progress has allowed us to shift gears and be proactive rather than reactive,” Wilson said. “The program has enabled us to get into our residential neighborhoods and begin making improvements to streets that were extremely hard to prioritize in previous years, given the limited funding.”
ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW ADVERTISEMENT
Some future projects will include 12th Avenue SE, Cottage Grove SE, Sixth Street SW, Old Marion Road NE, Center Point Road NE and additional segments of O Avenue NW, Wilson said.
2018 Paving for Progress projects
This list comes from the city of Cedar Rapids. For more information, check the city’s website under Paving for Progress.
- Center Point Road NE from 29th Street to 32nd Street NE
- Oakland Road NE from H Avenue to 32nd Street NE (two-way conversion and possible pavement rehabilitation)
- Northwood Drive NE from Glass Road to south of Brookland Drive NE
- H Avenue NE to 16th Street NE to D Avenue NE
- Maplewood Drive NE from J Avenue NE to K Avenue NE
- Falcon Drive NE from Sally Drive to Glass Road NE
- 36th Street NE from G Avenue to E Avenue NE
- 36th Street NE from Zach Johnson Drive to G Avenue NE
- Hollywood Boulevard NE from Center Point Road to Council Street NE
- Arizona Avenue NE from Center Point Road to Lawrence Street NE
- Texas Avenue NE from Center Point to Sherman Street NE
- Staub Court NE from Prairie Drive to Wildwood Court NE
- Milburn Road from Blairs Ferry Road NE to Tower Terrace Road (joint project with Linn County, partially funded by Paving for Progress)
- Third Avenue SE from First Street SW to First Street SE
- 14th Avenue SE from 36th Street to 42nd Street SE (started last year, to be completed this year)
- 14th Street SE from Bever Avenue to Fifth Avenue SE
- 16th Avenue SE Extension from Fourth Street to Fifth Street SE (started last year, to be completed this year)
- Woodland Drive SE from Bever Avenue to Grande Avenue SE
- Mansfield Avenue SE from 34th Street to 32nd Street SE
- Memorial Drive SE from McCarthy Road to Mount Vernon Road SE
- Memorial Drive SE from Mount Vernon Road to Bever Avenue SE (the adjoining Meadowbrook Drive was done in 2017)
- Johnson Avenue NW from First Avenue West to Midway Drive (two-year project)
- E Avenue NW from Highway 100 to Stoney Point Road, then Stoney Point Road from E Avenue NW to Cherry Hill Park entrance (two-year project, partially funded by Paving for Progress)
- O Avenue NW, from east of 16th Street to Ellis Boulevard NW (16th Street NW to east of Edgewood Road NW will be done 2020-21)
- 23rd Street NW from Johnson Avenue to Burch Avenue NW
- 28th Street NW from Johnson Avenue to D Avenue NW
- Midway Drive NW from West Post Road to Wiley Boulevard
- Zelda Drive NW from Midway Druve NW north to house 400
- Outlook Drive and 29th Avenue SW intersection
- 22nd Avenue SW from Sixth Street to Eighth Street SW
- 27th Avenue SW from Third Street to J Street SW
- Drexel Drive SW from First Avenue West to Langdon Avenue SW
- Outlook Drive SW from 29th Avenue to Clover Drive SW
Comments: (319) 339-3175; firstname.lastname@example.org