As Cedar Rapids prepares for flooding, businesses and organizations are postponing events and closing their doors to focus on preparations.
• Cedar Rapids Transit is suspending bus services on Saturday, Monday and Tuesday. Buses normally do not run on Sundays.
• The Cedar Rapids Fire Department is restricting access to public boat ramps along the Cedar River in Cedar Rapids effective immediately.
• Ellis Road NW is closed from O Avenue and down to Penn Avenue.
• Quaker will stop production at 3 p.m. Saturday. Cleaning crews will stay on until 11 p.m. People on AWS (alternative work schedule) will report to their supervisors for instructions on what to do over the weekend.
• Many city parks and recreation areas are closed. Seminole Valley Park and access to Prairie Park Fishery closed Friday, and Ellis Park can only be accessed by Zika Avenue. Cheyenne Park Off-Leash Area will close Sunday.
• Swim lessons at Bender Pool on Monday and Tuesday are canceled.
• The Home School Day Program at Ushers Ferry on Thursday is canceled.
• NewBo City Market will be closed beginning Friday, and Baconfest will be postponed.
• All events at the McGrath Amphitheatre from this weekend have been rescheduled.
• The African American Museum of Iowa is closed Thursday through Saturday to move collection and exhibit items in case of flooding. All education and outreach programs have been canceled until Saturday. Any future cancellations will be announced on the museum’s Facebook and Twitter feeds.
• Xavier High School will dismiss at 11 a.m. Friday so students and staff can be available to assist with evacuation and sandbagging efforts downtown, specifically St. Patrick’s Parish and Xavier Catholic Schools offices.
ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW ADVERTISEMENT
• Harvest Fest at Old MacDonald’s Farm will be postponed, and the Harvest Hayrack Night at Ushers Ferry has been canceled.
• Shows scheduled this weekend at the Paramount Theatre have been postponed. Saturday’s “The Fab Four” concert has been rescheduled for Thursday, and Sunday’s performance of “Ole & Lena” has been moved to Friday.
• The Cedar Rapids Walk to Defeat ALS on Sunday has been canceled.
• The America Reads annual Book Mark Celebration scheduled for 2 p.m. Sunday at the Cedar Rapids Public Library has been canceled.
• Orchestra Iowa’s performances of “The Soldier’s Tale” scheduled for Friday and Saturday at the Opus Concert Cafe and Sunday’s performance at the Coralville Center for the Performing Arts have been postponed indefinitely.
• Theatre Cedar Rapids has postponed Sunday’s performances of “Sister Act” and “Studio Cabaret.” There will be additional performances of “Sister Act” on October 6 at 7:30 p.m. and October 9 at 2:30 p.m., and “Studio Cabaret” on September 29 and October 1, both at 7:30 p.m.
Have any other closings that you’d like to report? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.