On May 15, 1968, an F5 tornado tore through Oelwein and surrounding communities. It leveled homes, flipped cars and left 450 people injured and 13 dead.
50 years later, The Gazette takes a look back through photos taken a day after the natural disaster.
MORE Community ARTICLES TO READ NEXT ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- North Liberty man faces charges after 115 mph police chase; accused of driving on wrong way of road, throwing jeans out window
- Cedar Rapids’ Zach Ralston chasing NASCAR dream
- Cedar Rapids backs bid for cannabidiol plant
- Cedar Rapids Prairie boys’ soccer benefits from postseason experience
- Cedar Rapids Jefferson adds to tradition with Metro baseball tournament title
- Iowa football 2018 depth chart projection: Offense