Since 1912, the Better Business Bureau has been America’s most influential champion of business and consumer ethics.
We are a non-profit, private organization that provides outstanding information and programs for the establishment and maintenance of an ethical marketplace. The success of the BBB system has proved that businesses experience the greatest economic progress when they abide by the highest ethical practices. Our member businesses sign a pledge to honor our own “10 commandments” agreement before becoming accredited.
This builds consumer confidence and helps the business owners promote themselves by complying with our standards.
Our Core Services to businesses include:
1. Business Review — to inform your potential customers of your company’s reputation
2. Dispute Resolution — to resolve disputes without expensive litigation through arbitration and mediation
3. Truth-in-advertising Reviews — we review ads that over-promise and underperform
4. Business self-regulation — we inform potential customers that you meet our standards of ethics
5. Consumer and Business Education — we keep you and your employees informed of marketplace issues
6. Charity Reviews — to help the public make wise decisions when giving monetary gifts by reviewing hundreds of charities
ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW ADVERTISEMENT
We also recognize our local and statewide businesses of excellence with the Torch Award, awarded to a business that shows outstanding ethics and customer service.
We like to differentiate your business from others who may not meet our high accreditation standards by helping your customers with comparison shopping and with making wise purchasing decisions. The BBB also exposes businesses who have a poor track record of customer service and ethics.
Look for the seal — our accredited businesses are proud of their association with the Better Business Bureau and proudly display our torch logo.
• Barbara Green is the director of the Better Business Bureau Cedar Rapids office.