It’s kolach time again, plus events for wine, beer and cocktail enthusiasts:
The St. Ludmila Kolach Festival is an annual celebration of delicious baked goods and Czech heritage. The fruit-filled pastries, baked fresh by church volunteers, are the center of the festival, along with games, carnival rides, music and food. Kolaches will be for sale until they sell out during each shift.
- When: 6 a.m. to 9 a.m. and 5 to 9 p.m. Friday, 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. Saturday and 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sunday
- Where: St. Ludmila Catholic Church, 211 21st Ave. SW, Cedar Rapids
- Cost: Kolaches $6 per half-dozen to $12 per dozen
- Details: (319) 362-7282, kolachfestival.org
Critter Crusaders Wine Tasting
Sip wine for a good cause at this evening benefiting medical care for rescued animals. The night features wine, grilled pizza and hors d’oeuvres, a silent and live auction and live music by Terry McCauley and Owen McCarron.
- When: 5 to 8 p.m. Friday
- Where: First Avenue Wine House, 3412 First Ave. NE, Cedar Rapids
- Cost: $40 suggested donation
- Tickets: crittercrusaderscr.org
Bake it Off
Help kick off the first Uptown Marion Market of the season while showing off your baking skills in this contest for amateur bakers. Judges will select the best cookies and squares or cakes and cupcakes, considering taste, appearance and creativity. Contestants of any age are welcome, with a youth category for ages 13 and under and separate entries for those 14 and over. Preregistration is required by noon Friday. Entrees should be delivered between 9 and 10 a.m. Saturday, with judging at 10:15 a.m. and winners announced at 10:45 a.m. The market runs 8 a.m. to noon.
- When: 8 a.m. to noon Saturday
- Where: City Square Park, 1001 Seventh Ave., Marion
- Cost: $5 entry fee for contestants
- Registration: (319) 377-6316, marioncc.org/uptown-marion-markets.html
Discover new and seasonal beers at this outdoor tasting event hosted by Metro North Rotary. Along with more than a dozen breweries, the day features music by DJ Commando, yard games, food for purchase from NewBo City Market vendors and a souvenir mug. Proceeds support local service projects at Metro High School and the Boys & Girls Club.
- When: 11:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Saturday
- Where: NewBo City Market, 1100 Third St. SE, Cedar Rapids
- Cost: $5 designated driver, $30 general admission
- Tickets: mnrlagerlympics.org
Martini Shake Off
Area bars and restaurants will come together to shake and stir their best cocktails in this event benefiting the HAVlife Foundation of Johnson County, which works to support kids through the arts, music and athletics. Along with libations, guests can enjoy appetizers and live music by FunkDaddies.
- When: 6 to 9 p.m. June 14
- Where: The Graduate Iowa City, 210 S. Dubuque St., Iowa City
- Cost: $50
- Tickets: Johnsonco.havlife.org