Fun Facts: Iowa-Michigan
Michigan has Spike. His brothers are Chachi and T-Baby.
ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- Let's see if we have this right: This is a game between two teams with a combined Big Ten record of 9-1.
OK, that's good enough for me. Now, on with the Fun Facts:
1. Iowa is ranked third nationally in offensive efficiency (points per 100 offensive possessions) with 121.1. Michigan is fourth at 120.3.
2. The Marbles have outscored the Robinsons, but there's a catch. Iowa's Roy Marble (2,116 points) and Devyn Marble (1,428) have scored 3,544. Glenn Robinson of Purdue (1,706) and son Glenn Robinson III (664) of Michigan have a paltry 2,370. But both Marbles played four college seasons. The elder Robinson played two and his son is a sophomore. Glenn "Big Dog" Robinson averaged 30.3 points as a Boilermaker sophomore, and topped 20 points per game in eight different NBA seasons.
3. Michigan sophomore guard Spike Albrecht averaged 2.2 points last season and is averaging 3.8 this season. His season-high this season is 10 points. His career-high? He scored 17 for the Wolverines in their 82-76 national-championship loss to Louisville last April.
4. Spike Albrecht's real name is Michael. He has older brothers called Chachi (Charles) and T-Baby (Stephen).
5. Iowa and Michigan have met five times in the Big Ten tournament. The Wolverines won all five, by an average of 12.6 points.
6. Michigan won at Wisconsin last Saturday for the first time since 1999, the first year Kohl Center was open. That covered 11 straight losses.
7. It was the highest-ranked (No. 3) team Michigan had ever beaten on the road. The previous high was No. 5 Duke in 1964.
8. The Hawkeyes and Wolverines have played four overtimes games against each other since 2005.
9. Michigan sophomore guard Nikolas Tomas Stauskas made 80 of 182 three-point tries last year for 44.0 percent. This season, he is 40 of 91 for 44.0 percent. That's exactly half the number of tries and makes as last season.
10. Stauskas is the Big Ten's top scorer at 18 points per game. He is from Mississauga, Ontario. That's also the hometown of Andrew Nicholson of the Orlando Magic, and Iowa State sophomore guard Naz Long.
11. Stauskas, sophomore guard Caris LeVert and Robinson average 34.8, 32.5 and 30.9 minutes, respectively. Marble leads Iowa with 27.3 minutes per game.
12. John Beilein has been the head coach at Erie Community College (4 years), Nazareth College (1 year), LeMoyne College (9 years), Canisius College (5 years), Richmond (5 years), West Virginia (5 years) and now Michigan (7th year). He has taken all four of his Division I schools to NCAA tournaments.
13. Iowa is fifth nationally in points per game with 86.8. Northwestern State is second with 87.8, even though it has a 5-11 record. Iowa's last NCAA tourney game was against Northwestern State in 2006 in ... Michigan.
14. Ann Arbor is just 44 miles from Windsor, Ontario, where former Iowa player Bill Jones is head coach of the Windsor Express of the National Basketball League of Canada. Jones' team is in first-place in the nine-team league with a 21-7 record.