Iowa-Iowa State extend series to 2021
Iowa DC Phil Parker named a Broyles Award nominee
A couple of quick notes before my 12 hours of Thanksgiving.
Iowa-ISU extend series, according to both schools.
The release from UI sports info (work on the contract Monday, I don't expect any changes):
CY-HAWK SERIES EXTENDED THROUGH 2021
IOWA CITY, Iowa – The University of Iowa and Iowa State University have extended the contract that will ensure the Hawkeyes and Cyclones compete in the annual Iowa Corn Cy-Hawk Series football game through the 2021 season. The joint announcement was made Wednesday by UI Director of Athletics Gary Barta, and Jamie Pollard, director of athletics at ISU.
“We are pleased to have the contract extended through the 2021 season,” said Barta. “In-state rivalries are an exciting part of college athletics, and you can feel a different energy across the state during the week of the Hawkeye-Cyclone matchup.”
Iowa and Iowa State have played annually since resuming the series in 1977 in Iowa City. The teams first met in 1894, with Iowa holding a 40-21 advantage in the series. The Hawkeyes claimed a 27-21 win earlier this season in Ames and have won four of the last six meetings.
The latest extension calls for the teams to meet in Iowa City on Sept. 8, 2018 and Sept. 12, 2020. Iowa will travel to Ames for games on Sept. 14, 2019 and Sept. 11, 2021. The previous contract included annual meetings through the 2017 season. The teams are scheduled to meet in Iowa City on Sept. 13, 2014.
“The annual contest with Iowa State is anticipated each year by fans of both programs,” said Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz. “With the changing of the conference schedules, we are happy this series will be continued without interruption.”
Iowa (7-4 overall, 4-3 Big Ten Conference) has won its last two games and three of its last four. The Hawkeyes travel to Nebraska (11:06 a.m. CT, ABC) Friday, Nov. 29, to close the regular season in the third annual Hy-Vee Heroes Game. The Hawkeyes are bowl eligible for the 12th time in 13 seasons and have won at least seven games in five of the last six years.
Here's a release from the Broyles Award committee. Iowa defensive coordinator Phil Parker is a nominee for the award that goes to the nation's top assistant:
Nominees Announced For 2013 Broyles Award
What: The Rotary Club of Little Rock is pleased to announce the nominees for the 2013 Broyles Award:
* Alabama - Doug Nussmeier, Offensive Coordinator
* Arizona - Jeff Casteel, Defensive Coordinator
* Arizona State - Mike Norvell, Offensive Coordinator
* Arkansas State - Kent Riddle, Assistant Head Coach, TE’s/Special Teams
* Auburn - Rhett Lashlee, Offensive Coordinator
* Ball State - Rich Skrosky, Offensive Coordinator
* Baylor - Philip Montgomery, Offensive Coordinator
* Boston College - Don Brown, Defensive Coordinator
* Brigham Young - Nick Howell, Defensive Coordinator
* Central Florida - Brent Key, Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Line
* Colorado State - Dave Baldwin, Offensive Coordinator
* Clemson - Chad Morris, Offensive Coordinator
* Duke - Kurt Roper, Offensive Coordinator
* Florida State - Jeremy Pruitt, Defensive Coordinator
* Fresno State - Dave Schramm, Offensive Coordinator
* Georgia Tech - Ted Roof, Defensive Coordinator
* Houston - David Gibbs, Defensive Coordinator
* Indiana - Seth Littrell, Offensive Coordinator
* Iowa - Phil Parker, Defensive Coordinator
* Louisville - Vance Bedford, Defensive Coordinator
* LSU - Cam Cameron, Offensive Coordinator
* Michigan State - Pat Narduzzi, Defensive Coordinator
* Minnesota - Tracy Claeys, Defensive Coordinator
* Missouri - Josh Henson, Offensive Coordinator
* Nebraska - Tim Beck, Offensive Coordinator
* Ohio State - Tom Herman, Offensive Coordinator
* Oklahoma State - Glenn Spencer, Defensive Coordinator
* Ole Miss - Dan Werner, Co-Offensive Coordinator
* Rice - Chris Thurmond, Defensive Coordinator
* San Jose State - Jimmie Dougherty, Offensive Coordinator
* South Carolina - Lorenzo Ward, Defensive Coordinator
* South Florida - Stu Holt, Special Teams Coordinator
* Stanford - Derek Mason, Defensive Coordinator
* Texas State - Mike Schultz, Offensive Coordinator
* UCLA - Jeff Ulbrich, Assistant Head Coach/LB’s/Special Teams
* Utah - Ilaisa Tuiaki, Defensive Line
* Utah State - Todd Orlando, Defensive Coordinator/Safeties
* Virginia Tech - Torrian Gray, Defensive Secondary Coach/Pass Game Coordinator
* Western Michigan - Charles Huff, RB Coach
* Wisconsin - Dave Aranda, Defensive Coordinator/LB’s
The 2013 Broyles Award winner will be announced on Tuesday, December 10 at 11:30 a.m. at the Marriott Hotel in Little Rock, AR. The Broyles Award is presented by The Rotary Club of Little Rock. The winner of the 2012 Broyles Award was Bob Diaco, Notre Dame.The Broyles Award honors the top assistant college football coach in America and was established in 1996 to honor legendary Arkansas Head Coach Frank Broyles. Coach Broyles had a track record of producing some of the most successful assistant coaches in college football history.