Iowa City police make third arrest in Regina bomb threats

Pennsylvania man taken into custody over the weekend

Nine months after Iowa City’s Regina Catholic Education Center was disrupted by two separate bomb threats that forced evacuations and building-wide searches, police have made a third arrest.

Kashawn Supreme Deas, 21, of Allentown, Penn., was arrested over the weekend on suspicion of calling the K-12 school numerous times on both Aug. 20 and Sept. 19 and threatening to blow it up.

According to criminal complaints, Deas is accused of calling Regina, 2150 Rochester Ave., at 8:56 a.m. and 8:59 a.m. on Aug. 20, demanding money and saying, “I am going to blow up the school, get the kids out now.”

His third call on that day went unanswered because the school had been evacuated, according to police.

On Sept. 19, Deas is accused of calling Regina at 12:09 p.m., 12:12 p.m. and 12:33 p.m. He called two more times, but those – again – went unanswered because the school had been evacuated.

During his September calls, Deas is accused of demanding money and saying, “I am going to run into the school with a bomb strapped to myself, get out now,” according to the complaints.

Through their investigation, Iowa City police identified Deas as a possible suspect and located him with the help of the Allentown Police Department in Pennsylvania, the complaints say.

Deas, who is not yet in the Johnson County Jail, faces five felony counts of making threats. The charge is a class D felony, each punishable by up to five years in prison.

Deas is the third person arrested in the case. Brothers and Regina students Austin D. Troyer, 17, and Alex M. Troyer, 15, were arrested on Sept. 25 in connection with the threats.  Their charges involved aiding and abetting, because they were accused of acting with the third person.

Because the teens were juveniles at the time of their arrest, the status of their cases is unknown. Calls to the family were not immediately returned.

Both bomb threats “massive disruption” to the school and community, according to police. Classes were cancelled on both days, and students were taken to a safe place, where parents could come pick them up.

No suspicious packages were found on either occasion.

Like what you're reading?

We make it easy to stay connected:

to our email newsletters
Download our free apps

Give us feedback

Have you found an error or omission in our reporting? Tell us here.
Do you have a story idea we should look into? Tell us here.