High-speed chase leads to Cedar Rapids man's second arrest in a month

Beard arrested on suspicion of multiple charges after Monday night incident

  • Photo

A Cedar Rapids man could face additional charges after leading police on a second high-speed chase in the same month.

Courtney M. Beard, 26, of 1503 Center Point Rd. NE was taken to St. Luke's Hospital around 10:30 p.m. Monday, complaining of back pain, after leading police on a high-speed chase, crashing into a snow bank and running from officers.

According to authorities, the chase began after police attempted to stop Beard, who was traveling at an estimated 52 mph in a 30-mph zone, near the 300 block of 29th Street NE. Officers said Beard didn't stop and instead turned onto First Avenue, where his speed increased to about 70 mph. He then turned onto 32nd Street, increased his speed to around 90 mph, then turned south on Interstate 380.

Beard continued to travel on I-380 southbound, driving at about 100 mph in the 55 mph zone near J Avenue, before he exited the Interstate at H Avenue, lost control of his car and crashed into a snowbank at the bottom of the H Avenue exit ramp. Authorities said Beard left the car and began running towards Shaver Road NE, where he led officers into a parking lot and around several truck trailers, then back towards Shaver Road NE, where he slipped on ice and fell, officials said.

After being released from St. Luke's, Beard was taken to the Linn County Jail, where he was being held on a $9,150 bond Wednesday. Beard was arrested on suspicion of interference with official acts, driving while barred, attempting to elude, failure to maintain control, failure to provide proof of insurance and speeding.

About two weeks prior to this incident, Beard was arrested after leading police on a chase in southwest Cedar Rapids that was later called off because it was near a school. In both chases, Beard was driving a white Pontiac Grand Prix. Police did not know the driver of the vehicle in Monday's chase was Beard until after he was taken into custody, Sgt. Cristy Hamblin said.

Like what you're reading?

We make it easy to stay connected:

to our email newsletters
Download our free apps

Give us feedback

Have you found an error or omission in our reporting? Tell us here.
Do you have a story idea we should look into? Tell us here.