A 22-year-old woman is expected to recover after the sport-utility vehicle she was driving fell about 25 feet off an interstate bridge in Cedar Rapids.
Police responded around 2:25 a.m. Friday after the SUV crashed on Interstate 380, just north of the Seventh Street off-ramp. Nicole Butschi of Robins had been southbound on I-380 when she lost control as the roadway curves near Coe College, police said. The SUV struck a 3-to-4 foot concrete barrier on the left side of the roadway and toppled over it, falling between the northbound and southbound lanes.
Sgt. Cristy Hamblin said the SUV landed on its top on a gravel-covered area. Butschi appeared to have broken bones and was taken to St. Luke's Hospital, but her injuries were not considered life-threatening, police said.Hamblin said officers could smell alcohol on Butschi's breath when they went to help her. Upon her release from the hospital, police said Butschi would be arrested on suspicion of operating while intoxicated and failure to maintain control.
WHAT TO READ NEXT ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- University of Iowa heavyweight Sam Stoll shot in the knee
- University of Northern Iowa will review involvement in ‘facilitated communication’ conference
- Sgt. Donald Baker, missing in action in Korean War, laid to rest in Cedar Rapids
- 2 more shutouts for Cedar Rapids Kennedy pitching duo
- Mercy Iowa City to integrate with Iowa Heart Center
- Leading Iowa politicians want family separations at border to end