#7 reader story of 2012: NewBo City Market opening
18,000-square-foot facility home to about 25 permanent vendors
The opening of the NewBo City Market on Oct. 27 at 1100 Third St. SE attracts hundreds more weekly visitors to the New Bohemia Arts and Entertainment District, the city's emerging arts area.
The facility, located at 12th Avenue and Third Street SE, is now home to about 25 permanent vendors and several seasonal vendors.
The former Quality Chef building, previously an Iowa Steel and Iron warehouse, stretches 18,000 square feet between 11th and 12th avenues. Previously pale green, the building has been painted brick-red, with windows punched out to let in light. Landscaping was added in front of the market, where up to 150 vendors will sell produce outside during warm-season months.
THE YEAR'S STORIES:
- Nov. 8 -- NewBo City Market is a dining destination
- Oct. 28 -- Thousands visit New Bo City Market on first day
- Oct. 25 -- NewBo City Market celebrates grand opening
- Oct. 14 -- NewBo City Market in Cedar Rapids to offer new model for local foods
- July 31 -- NewBo City Market announces permanent vendors
- May 3 -- NewBo City Market gets $500,000 grant from City Council
- March 20 -- Waste agency giving NewBo $400,000
- March 14 -- Poe to head NewBo City Market