Day 30 of The 2012 Apple Challenge: Apple Crisp
Setting: My kitchen.
Time: Not even 30 seconds ago.
Me: I’ve got apple crisp!
Scott: You saved the best for last?
Yes, we are nearing the end of The 2012 Apple Challenge.
Apple crisp is my husband’s favorite dessert (after pumpkin pie), so it seemed fitting to make it for him towards the end of the challenge as a thank you for putting up with all apple dishes and running out to buy me a gala apple when all I had on hand was golden delicious.
He’s a keeper.
- 4 medium tart cooking apples, sliced (4 cups)
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking or old-fashioned oats
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Spread apples in pan. In medium bowl, stir remaining ingredients except cream until well mixed; sprinkle over apples.
Bake about 30 minutes or until topping is golden brown and apples are tender when pierced with a fork. Serve warm with cream.Source: Betty Crocker’s New Cookbook: Everything You Need to Know to Cook by Betty Crocker (Betty Crocker; Nov. 15, 1998)