Linn County Attorney reviewing simple assault charges in Lisbon wrestling case
Investigation continues; team will compete tonight for first time since incident
The Lisbon High School wrestling team will participate in its first match since bullying allegations surfaced, even as Lisbon police chief Rick Scott says he's submitted simple assault charges for consideration against three juveniles allegedly involved in the incident.
In December, a parent came forward reporting that senior members of the wrestling team attacked his son in the locker room. Since then, other parents have expressed similar concerns.
Lisbon police are still investigating the case.
The charges are being reviewed by Linn County Attorney Jerry Vander Sanden, and no official charges have been filed against the three teenagers.
The school, however, has wrapped up its internal investigation. The principal said some matches and practices had been canceled because of the bullying allegations and the investigation. Now the wrestling team is headed back to the mat.
“We are going to work hard to continue to move forward from these tough last couple of weeks, and our kids are going to represent themselves very well, not only in athletics but in the academic classroom,” said Lisbon High School Principal Ian Dye.
The varsity team will head to Durant Thursday night.
Dye said he’s hoping other schools will take note of what happened in Lisbon.
“We’ve obviously investigated some very serious accusations and done our best to try to correct those behaviors and then move forward," Dye said, "and I hope that schools all over that if this helps increase the conversation around this type of bullying and harassment behavior that some good will come of this.”Vander Sanden said he's working with Lisbon police as they continue their investigation. They are interviewing witnesses and looking into the possibility of finding other victims. Vander Sanden said that information will help him decide if he will move forward with any criminal charges.