UPDATE: The two people who were killed Thursday in separate tragedies were identified today by the Iowa County Sheriff's Office.
Jerome Miller, 63, of Marengo died in an incident around 1:46 p.m. in a snowy farm field east of the intersection of 225th Street and NN Avenue in rural Williamsburg. Reports indicate that a group of hunters was trying to free a pickup stuck in the snow, using a tow strap attached to a second pickup, when the tow strap failed. A portion of the strap struck and killed Miller, officials said.Earlier in the day, Frank Meager, 33, of Cottage Grove, Minn., was killed around 12:45 p.m. near the 2600 block of O Avenue in rural Williamsburg. According to reports, Meager, a subcontractor working to clear the right of way for a pipeline company, died when he was crushed by a tree he was cutting.
WHAT TO READ NEXT ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Prairie’s Jensyn Jones grew up around the softball diamond
- Area softball Super 10: Kennedy, Jefferson extend their stay on top
- Sean McCarty earns spot in PGA Championship
- March for Our Lives event in Cedar Rapids moved to Raygun
- How Iowa towns can revitalize vacant buildings
- Severe obesity rates surging in rural America, with 29 percent climb among young people