Big Ten expansion candidate: Pittsburgh
Mar 31, 2014 at 2:31 am | Print View
The ninth installment in a series looking at 12 different universities that could potentially join the Big Ten
- School: Pittsburgh
- Location: Pittsburgh, Pa.
- Enrollment: 27,562
- Current League: Big East Conference
- Number of sports offered: 17
- Academic profile: Member of the Association of American Universities; 56th in the U.S. News and World Report National Universities rankings
- Why it would fit: Pittsburgh has tradition in football and a solid men's basketball program. It fits within the Big Ten borders and extends a time-honored rivalry with Penn State to league play. It's an AAU member and boasts a terrific medical school.
- Why it wouldn't: The Big Ten already has locked up Pennsylvania demographically with Penn State.
- Final verdict: Big Ten expansion is about what a candidate brings to the league, not what the league can do for the school. Although Pittsburgh brings tangibles the league expects, it doesn't open any new revenue streams for a league looking beyond football. Pittsburgh only gets in if the league expands to 16, and it's the 16th school.
- YouTube moment:Video clips from Pitt football history, including Larry Fitzgerald, Dan Marino and Tony Dorsett.