Big Ten expansion candidate: Iowa State
The sixth installment in a series looking at 12 different universities that could potentially join the Big Ten
- School: Iowa State
- Location: Ames, Iowa
- Enrollment: 26,856
- Current league: Big 12
- Number of sports offered: 14 (cross country lumped together)
- Academic profile: Member of the Association of American Universities; 88th in the U.S. News and World Report National Universities rankings
- Why it would fit: Geographic proximity to both Minnesota and Iowa. Iowa State would provide both with a key in-conference rival. Academically, it's in the same ballpark as Big Ten institutions. Iowa State has competed in a tough athletic league for generations and traditionally held its own in men's basketball and played in several football bowl games. It's non-revenue sports also are solid.
- Why it wouldn't: Iowa State doesn't add to the Big Ten demographically. The Big Ten Network already is in every household of the league's smallest state by population.
- Final verdict: Not much of a chance of Iowa State joining the Big Ten.
- YouTube moment: Iowa State football coach Paul Rhoads' emotional address inside the Cyclones' locker room after beating Nebraska Oct. 24, 2009.